Monday, November 28, 2005

Class of 1994

I took a walk down memory lane the other day and thought about how far I've come. Going through my yearbook, so many memories were made vivid all over again. There were the clothes, the hairstyles, and the music. Man... the music! For me, at that era it was Janet Jackson, 2Pac, and H-Town. Yeah, H-Town. GI, Shazaam, and Dino. I think I wore the skin off their CD "Fever for the Flavor." I used to tune in to Majic 102 to listen to "Knocking the Boots" damn near every night. The young lady I was dating at the time wasn't too thrilled about it, but the hometown boys made us feel good to represent Houston, Texas. Of course, this was a few years before Destiny's Child really, really put Houston on the music map of the world.



I got to thinking about how me and my man Damion and John would sit in Dr. Reed's class and wonder how would we pass that damn class! That lady put the fear of God in all of us... and we were Honor students! On the weekends, we would go joy-riding in Marco's car (which a sho'nuff hooptie!) and smoke Swisher Sweets and eat chicken wings at Ocean King. I was lucky, but no too lucky because I got out of school at like 10:30 in the morning and went to work at Shell Oil Company at 1:30 in the afternoon. That was cool, but I also missed out on a lot of things that went down after I left, like the "Soul Train" at B lunch that Halloween. At the reunion, cats were still talking about that! Thumbing through the pages, I saw faces of people I called close friends and those who I would just give a pound to on a regular basis. I had a lot of good memories at Madison High School. Granted, I had my share that wasn't so good but overall, I made the best of my experience while I was there.

It makes me laugh to think about walking the halls and singing some crazy ass song at the top of my voice! Or skipping class to go and hang out with my girlfriend at the time. I think about that crazy ass girl who just wouldn't take "no" for an answer. So many good times and so much to look back on and reminisce over.

A lot has changed in the 11 years that I walked out of there with diploma in hand. Madison has changed drastically. As a matter of fact, the last time I walked around the campus I barely recognized it. Gone is the Madison Knights' tree and the Ladies of Distinction bench. The ROTC shack has been upgraded and even the parking lot where I used to do drill team practice is different. That group H-Town? Sadly, the lead singer Dino made the transition into the spirit world in 2003. I listened to "Fever For the Flavor" and poured some liquor on the concrete in his honor.

After I came to the end, I closed the book and smiled. That was a walk down memory lane that assured me that I'm doing alright after all.