Monday, November 28, 2005

Michael Jackson


I love Michael Jackson. I really do. I grew up on his music and I have idolized him for what seems like forever. I'm looking at this recent pic and I'm like "what happened?" He just looks so... I can't begin to come with the words to describe who and what Michael has become.

I was looking at some videos and pics of Michael the other day and of course, this was old Michael. I'm talking "Thriller-Beat It-Billie Jean" Michael when he was Black and beautiful. I'm talking about the Michael Jackson that we, meaning Black kids in the 80's looked up to. We finally had someone that we could claim as our own who was making a positive impact in our lives. I can recall how I would go over to a friend's house, and while their parents were away at work, we would listen to his records and have dancing competitions to see who could do the Moonwalk better than the other. We rocked jheri curls and the multi-zippered jackets and the white socks. We made sequinned gloves and begged our parents for money to see "The Victory Tour." We cried when his hair caught on fire during a Pepsi commercial. He belonged to us.

Then, we watched as he just reduced himself to laughingstock of the world. He hasn't been the same since 1987. I was blessed to have seen him live during the "Bad" tour of 1988 and that's the last of Michael Jackson as we all knew him. The facial features began to change but we still had love. The eccentricities got a bit weirder, but we had love. Now, I can honestly say that I have love for him, but I don't know what to make of him anymore. The music is very much below standard, and the image? Goodness.

I got love for him still. Question is: does Michael Jackson still have love for himself?