Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Mariah Makes Me Eat My Words!

All I can say is damn. Just... damn. She made me eat my words.

I feel like I am this small.

On the first day of 2006, I copped my first CD. Mariah Carey's "The Emancipation of Mimi." I tried so hard to steer clear of Mariah and her new music. See, I remember "Vision of Love" back in 1990. That Mariah. The songbird who had the high-octave range that reminded you of Minnie Riperton. I remember Mariah in the black leather jacket on "MTV: Unplugged" singing "I'll Be There" with Trey Lorenz. This Mariah? The hip-hop, cleavage-exposed, barely-there-dressed Mariah? Uh-uh... I wasn't buying it. I wanted to hear her sing again. I didn't wanna see Jermaine Dupri all in the videos and all over the damn songs! I saw what hip-hop did to Toni Braxton. She can't even give her CD away now!

Seems like for all of 2005, it was Mariah. I couldn't get away from her. "We Belong Together" was everywhere. There was her image on magazine covers and her videos were all over the place. After her disastrous "Glitter" project of 2002, I was done with Mariah. I felt like her time had come and gone and she should drop a greatest hits package and be done with it. "Charmbracelet?" You gotta be kidding me, right? I don't even remember the hit singles from that CD.

So, this past Sunday I am out and about and I copped the CD. I popped it in the CD player and as I'm driving and listening to the music, my reaction is "goddamn!" The shit was bumping! Several tracks like "Shake It Off" I had to play again just because the beat was so thumping. I'm driving and thinking to myself "Mariah came with it, man!" Then, my next reaction was "why didn't I cop this a long time ago?" In all honesty, Mariah made me eat my words.

The last great comeback that had everyone ranting and raving was Prince and his 2004 CD, "Musicology." Before that, I would say rewind 20 years and you see Tina Turner and the "Private Dancer" project. If you wanna say Mariah had a great year and call it a comeback, I would have to agree. Mariah Carey redeemed herself. Now I'm hoping that she does clean up at the Grammy Awards because she has earned it. She knows how to crank out the hits and on the cool, her teaming with Jermaine Dupri makes for some great music. Now if Jermaine can do for Janet Jackson what he did for Mariah... then we can really call him a "bad motherfucker!" For some reason, I think JD just might do the damn thing.

As for MC... I'm a fan again.