Tuesday, January 10, 2006

R&B: Rhythm and Bullshit


When I see shit like this, it makes my skin crawl. One, because "Vibe" magazine is on some "out" shit and two -- what's with this one song shit? I am so trying to understand the world we live in where one song makes you a superstar! If you have heard Chris Brown's "Run," it sounds like an Usher "Yeah" outtake. I am not impressed. He can't sing to save his life and it just chaps my hide that now he is "the future of R&B."

Maybe it's for rhythm and bullshit because it is NOT the R&B that I am accustomed to.

When I think of R&B, I begin to think of cats like Etta James, ZZ Hill, Ray Charles, and Aretha Franklin. Not fucking Chris Brown. I'll even go so far as to include entertainers like Jodeci, Mary J. Blige, TLC, and Usher. But Chris Brown? WHO IN THE HELL IS THIS DWEEB?

The fucked up part about all this is this kid will be the flavor of the month and just as sure as my name is Poetic Rockstar, he'll be a has-been in a few months. Then what? We move on the next so-called "future of R&B." As someone who follows the ups-and-downs and ins-and-outs of the "music business," I see it all the time. Wasn't Ashanti the "Princess of Hip-Hop Soul" a few CD's ago? Now she can't even give away a copy of her greatest hits collection. Seems like many moons ago, Ja Rule was "the next 2Pac." What a joke he has become. And don't even get me started on Britney as the heir to Madonna and the new "Queen of Pop." She might as well take her swamp-digging ass back to Louisiana and be Kevin's babymama.

One song? One song. One song is all it takes to become the "it" person of the day. You get your video on MTV and the magazine covers and a few accolades off of one song nowadays. In the early part of 2005, it was Amerie with "1 Thing." I will admit... the song was tight. It was catchy and it got Amerie some love. However, I had issues with "Soul Train" awarding her the "Entertainer of the Year" for this "1 Thing." I just shake my head because it is ridiculous that this is what the modern day era of music has to give us.

Chris fucking Brown.