Monday, January 09, 2006

Vince-anity!



To be 100% honest with you, I am not a football fan. Never really cared much for the game and damn sure never had a desire to play. I think the last time I sat down to watch a football game, Bo Jackson was playing for the Los Angeles Raiders. As a matter of fact, that was the game in which Bo went down with the hip injury. I think that did it for me as far as watching the game.

I went to James Madison High School here in Houston, Texas. I attended a football game every now and then and cheered on the team because most of the players were friends of mine. At the time I went, our claim to fame as a school was the fact that Dino, lead singer of the group H-Town, attended the same school. Now, Madison is associated with another name: Vincent Young.

I don't know Vincent Young personally. Even if I were to walk through my old neighborhood, I wouldn't have a clue who the kid is. It's been said that he's from my old neighborhood of Hiram Clarke but I was probably long gone by the time he got to middle school. I give the dude props for leading the University of Texas to the national championship. I give him love for being a classy cat who is taking it all in stride as well. However, even though he just announced his intention to go pro, I'm already sick of the kid!

I know that's a shitty thing to say. You might think to yourself "you should be proud, Chris." I am. It's good to see a neighborhood cat make something out of himself. My only issue is the fact that the dude has yet to touch an NFL football and you can swear he's the LeBron James of football. So he makes the announcement that he's gonna jet outta UT early and suit up for the Big Leagues. Now, here's the fucked up part in all this: it was just last week that the whole country was going apeshit over this Reggie Bush guy. For those of you who don't know that name, he won the Heisman Trophy and was the star running back at USC, the team UT beat to win the title. Okay. Now everyone is speculating that this Bush guy is The Man and he's gonna be the #1 draft pick and you got teams intentionally losing just to grab the guy. Follow me, now. So he goes to the Big Game and on national television and gets his ass handed to him by Vince Young.

And now Vince Young is The Man.

Wasn't the same thing said about Andre Ware, Charlie Ward, Desmond Howard, and Ricky Williams? What came of those guys? They were college football media darlings who eventually saw their NFL dreams fizzle out. Poor Charlie Ward never even made it to the NFL. Nobody wanted him. Here's someone with the Heisman Trophy and can't get a job. Of course, we know what happened to Ricky.

I was reading today's paper where they said Vince Young could get up to $25 million in a guaranteed contract. For what? Winning one big game doesn't make you a fucking star? Shit, he could ride the bench forever, man! He hasn't even suited up or even made the cut? Not to mention, has anyone given any thought to the fact that the college level is a lot different than the professional level when it comes to sports?

I'm happy for Vince Young. Please don't get it twisted. Like I said, I don't know shit about football and could care less. But let me say this: with all the media hype surrounding this cat, God fucking help him if he doesn't produce. Hate to say it, but he'll go from being champ to chump.

Or better yet... just another rich nigga in the NFL.