Friday, March 03, 2006

Nigga, Please! My Thoughts on Damon Wayans


Seriously... I thought it was a sick joke. I didn't think much of it until I looked at the headlines today and it said the following: "Actor Damon Wayans Seeks to Trademark Hip-Hop Term 'Nigga'." So I get to reading and I am stunned that the homes has been on a 14 month quest to get the word "nigga" patented for a clothing line and a retail store. Note to Damon Wayans: ARE YOU FUCKING FOR REAL, MAN?

Who in their God-given right mind would want to trademark a term that some view as derogatory? Okay, let me rephrase that one: what possessed this cat to wake up one day with this lame-ass idea? But at the same time, should I really be surprised? This is Damon Wayans we're talking about, part of the biggest and most buffoonish family to ever come out of Hollywood. Before I allowed myself to get ticked off any further, I had to be cautious of the fact that this is a family who has given us "White Chicks" and fucking "Marci X."

I think it's dumb and just pure ignorance. Bad enough that him and Spike tried to insult my intelligence with that God-awful horrible piece of cinema called "Bamboozled" and now we get "Nigga Gear!" Maybe it's not enough that the youth are subjected to some of the most negative images in the history of the media and now, we can floss in some "Nigga Jeans." Motherfuck me, man! Is this what it's really come to? Iced out grilles and "Nigga Shirts?"

I think I'm pissed off because you have someone of Damon Wayans celebrity who would entertain something like this. If some silly ass rapper tried to attempt this, maybe I wouldn't be so bent out of shape. But after the so-called success of "My Wife and Kids" and "413 Hope St" (people forget about that one!), this is what you will do with your creativity and clout? It's a slap in the face, man! No way in hell do I wish to go to anyone's outlet and see "Nigga" stitched across the back of any jeans or scrawled on a shirt. Not to mention the shit will cost $75 and made overseas by some kid making pennies for an 18 hour day in a sweatshop, a'la Sean John.

(yeah... I went there!)

And what's with this "Hip-Hop" term shit? Is that to say that the word "nigga" is now associated with hip-hop and rap music? Again, the media hard at work. Such bullshit.

I'm sick of this shit. I am honestly sick and tired of "niggas" and "nigga" shit. I am tired of the word and I am guilty of using it, but the truth is it still stings. Regardless of who says it. I'm tired of acting like that word has no meaning and all this talk of "it's a term of endearment" is crap. So if I want to make a change for the better and dead that word, then I will start with me.
As for Mr. Wayans, you sunk to the lowest of lows on this one, chief. For someone who says he admired Richard Pryor so much, trust me when I say that ol' Richie Rich is beaming from the sky at the thought of "Nigga Gear."

Yeah, the ancestors are real proud. Look at how far we have come.